Overlooking the Salcombe estuary, Overbeck’s is a National Trust property, built in 1913 and was formerly a convalescent home for injured soldiers. The house was bought by Otto Overbeck in 1928 and left to the National Trust in 1937 following his death.
The steep and densely planted grounds overlook the beautiful Salcombe Estuary and are home to a great number of exotic species including palms, tree ferns and banana trees.
Fuchsias, Hydrangea and Agapanthus were all in flower during our early July visit and indeed the garden would not appear out of place in the South of France. A beautiful Cornus tree in the wooded area was laden with flowering bracts and higher up in the garden, a small olive grove thrives on a sunny lawn.
Plenty of seating is provided to admire the glorious views and the genteel Edwardian atmosphere evokes a quiet stillness of times gone by. A small café with outdoor seating enables the visitor to take tea on the terrace or simply enjoy a stroll across the high lawns beside the house.
For historians, the inside of the house is home to a small museum of Edwardian artefacts including an alarming number of stuffed birds and animals! Interesting photographs of Salcombe at the turn of the century are accompanied by news of Victorian shipwrecks in the area and finds from the nearby beaches are displayed in glass-topped cabinets.
If you are staying in the area it is worth walking to Overbeck’s since the single track roads and steep hills do not lend themselves easily to traffic jams. Overbeck’s is a pleasant half hour walk from Salcombe.